2.18.2009

Elita

I am the mom to a 14-month-old boy named Miles. I am a librarian by education and training, but my passion is breastfeeding advocacy or "lactivisim" and I hope to eventually work in the field. I live in sunny South Florida with my husband, baby and Sunny, our Pomeranian.

You can find Elita at her blog Blacktating.

What is your biggest struggle as a mom? My biggest struggle as a mom is balancing taking care of my family with taking care of myself. All of my money, time and energy goes into my family and I need to work on finding the time to nurture my own interests. And get the occasional pedicure!

What is something you caught yourself doing that you mom used to do and your swore you wouldn't do? I can't really pinpoint anything my mom did that I ever said, "I will never do this to my child!" I had an incredible mom who did a great job raising me as a single parent. I was extremely lucky to have her.

Share something funny your child has said or done. My son is only 14 months so he has a limited vocabulary, but the funniest thing he does is dance the funky chicken. I have no idea how he learned to do it because we never taught him, but every time music comes on, there he goes, elbows out, flapping his arms up and down!

What is your guilty pleasure? My guilty pleasure is buying pricey make-up. I love experimenting with different color eye shadows and lipsticks. I am a bit of a make-up snob and could spend all day in Sephora!

How do you unwind? I typically unwind with a cup of tea and a book. When I get any alone time, I really love to read. I read to sleep every night. I also love trashy TV. VH-1 is my channel!

Favorite TV Show? The only TV show I hate to miss is Project Runway. I hope the last season they taped airs soon. I am having serious Tim Gunn and "auf" withdrawals.

What is a tradition you started with your family? One tradition I've started with my new little family is that we attend a local jazz fest that is held once a month. Live jazz bands perform in the park and we bring a picnic basket and have brunch.

How did you decide on the name of your child? Picking the name of my son was hard. I knew I wanted to name him after my grandmother and her name started with an "S" but there weren't really any "S" names I loved. We really liked the name Miles because it sounded cool and sophisticated but I wanted to honor my Nanny. So we finally decided on Spencer Miles. We call him Miles, but it works out well because his initials are S.Miles, as in Smiles. :)
When I put together my registry when I found out I was pregnant with my son, it was heavy on the breastfeeding supplies: milk storage bags, a hand pump, lanolin, nursing pads and a breastfeeding pillow. What did I get at my shower? Bottles and swings. Lots of swings.

So when an out-of-town friend who couldn’t make it to the shower called to ask what I wanted, I gratefully squealed, “Boppy, please!” And it arrived. And it was good.

The Boppy can be used for so many things, but it really saved my life those first few days of breastfeeding (after I managed to pry it out from under hubby’s head in the hospital!) Positioning a tiny newborn for nursing can be tricky, especially when you’re sore from the neck down. The Boppy helps you to be as comfortable as humanly possible. The horseshoe shape is designed to take the strain off of mom’s neck and shoulders and when you place it around your waist, baby is propped up at breast level. In those days I would never even dream of nursing my son without my Boppy. It was a permanent fixture on our couch, right next to the remote control. The best way to use the Boppy is to sit Indian style, but if you’re sore from a C-section, you can slip one of the “arms” underneath you as you lie on your side and lay baby’s head on the pillow. Even though I didn’t have a C-section, I would use the Boppy to nurse in the side-lying position so I could nap while my son nursed (and BONUS, he usually fell asleep, too!)

Even if you’re bottle feeding, the Boppy is great for supporting the baby during a feeding. Whenever I would pump, daddy would use the Boppy to feed the baby a bottle. And like I said, it makes a great pillow for Daddy to sleep on in the hospital while you text and email everyone about the birth because you’re too wired to rest.

You can also use the Boppy when your baby is a couple months old and starts “tummy time” to help him learn to hold that heavy noggin up on his own. Place the baby’s chest on the curved part of the Boppy. He will hate it, but this is one of the first in a long line of things you will make him do “for his own good,” so he should get used to it. You can also use the Boppy to prop your baby up on the couch next to you while you watch TV before he can sit up on his own.*

The Boppy can also help you make a fashion statement. Whatever you’re into--frogs, cats, pink, safaris, cupcakes--there is a Boppy cover with a print for you. Mix and match to suit your mood and always keep a few extras on hand for when baby spits up all over it or you spill food on it because you’re eating while nursing. The covers are a bit pricey, so if you’re a crafty mama, I suggest making your own. There are plenty of do-it-yourself patterns to be found online.

Although we’re still nursing, my 14-month-old is a bit too wiggly to stay put on the Boppy, so I’ve found some new uses for it.


Keeps the heat off my legs while using my laptop*


Supports my son while he sleeps on the couch.*


*These uses of the Boppy nursing pillow are not sanctioned by Boppy.

Best Blogger Tips

42 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! I really enjoyed learning more about you. I have to say that I loved my boppy too. Its uses go far beyond nursing.

Anonymous said...

Great pic and post. Smiles, too cute.

Rose Mountain Art said...

My friend Jane is having a baby girl in May and you convinced me to get her a boppy, better yet, make her one! I love that he is named S.Miles too...

Mr. Conde said...

I think I know you from somewhere! You are a blog-a-licious guest poster!

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about you as a mommy! Keep on posting!

Jodi said...

My cousin is having twins in April and you've convinced me what a great gift a boppy would be! Thanks!

Alexia said...

That is one great review! I loved my boppy (more for all the *other* uses than the sanctioned one LOL) My favorite use was to support the boys when they were just learned to sit up, but needed that little bit extra support!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm convinced I need a bobby! My question is, is it washable? So cool that you can continue to use it even after needing it for breastfeeding.

Loved this post, thanks so much!

GirlHouse said...

You have inspired me to give my Boppy another try!

Reiza said...

So neat to read some more about you. I didn't know you were a librarian by trade. I'm surprised by how many librarians I know. :-)

I love the story behind your son's name. It's such a neat name too.

As for the boppy, I pulled my old one out a few years ago and my big kids loved it too. They were captivated for hours.

Someone asked if they're washable. They sell covers for them that are. Mine is 7 years old and didn't have a cover, but I may splurge and buy one this time around. They have some gorgeous ones out there.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a boppy back in the day when I was breastfeeding! What a useful tool! Thanks for the tip! Next time I am invited to a baby shower, I will add a boppy to the gift bag!

Jen said...

Your son is adorable. To me, the Boppy has actually become more useful as my daughter has grown (She's only 5 months now). When she was really little, it didn't hold her up high enough to nurse. Now it's perfect. We also have unconventional uses, like you.

Anonymous said...

I need a boppy! Smiles is adorable!! Seriously, I could use a boppy when I'm studying or writing! I'm convinced that a boppy is what I will give to all my future friend moms! Great job, keep on!

-Alyse

Alicia said...

The Boppy sounds like a godsend! Really enjoyed reading your post.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I agree there is nothing like the boppy. I had one similar, but it includeda support strap that came out when baby was big enough to start learning to sit so she couldn't wiggle down, it was great for tummy time too. The biggest help besides feeding was it gave me peace of mind when all the little children in my famliy wanted to hold her. I could place that on their lap and the then the baby. Much less worry abou proper support of the head or drops by little hands and arms.

Kimberly said...

My boppy rocks!!
Hubs uses it too, when holding the newborn!

Nic said...

I never realized that about Mile's name (Smiles)!! I totally agree about the Boppy, I couldn't have breastfed without it, I think I used it until my son was 10 or 11 months old (and he is a big guy). Wish I'd thought of the DIY covers! Maybe next time around, or as gifts. I've heard good things about the "breast friend" pillow, but seems like it would be less versatile with the waistband strap.

Mama Seoul said...

I had the My Brest Friend pillow. I like it because it belts around your waist and I wore it constantly for the first few weeks. I definitely think a breastfeeding pillow is a must-have even if your aren't nursing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Elita - Hi Miles - or should we say S'Miles! What a smile - what a gorgeous baby - keep smiling!!!

Choppy said...

Smiles, what a great flick - you're the bomb! What a boppy!

Danielle said...

I also love the Boppy and wanted to share another great use for it. As your hubby discovered, the Boppy makes a decent pillow and we use them when travelling in the vehicle for kids and adults.

ldsmom2201 at yahoo dot com
http://juanshappywife.blogspot.com
http://homeschoolunitstudies.blogspot.com

Erica G said...

I love your pick! I thought the Boppy was a waste of money, so I didn't register for one. I received one about 2 weeks after I gave birth and boy was I wrong! It made breastfeeding easier!

babychooch (at) gmail {dot} com

Anonymous said...

I am going to miss my Boppy when we are done nursing. I feel like it's part of the family now :)

Cathy, yes, it is washable. I have washed it more than once!

Nicole said...

Love the laptop idea. I use mine to hold my book when I'm reading. It keeps my arms from getting tired.

Anonymous said...

Miles is adorable and I love the story about his name but I don't want to comment on the Boppy for several reasons and it's a guy thing! You look great though!

Amelia Abreu said...

Smiles seems to love the Boppy- do they make them in grownup sizes?

Unknown said...

My wife used a Boppy... and it was VERY helpful during that stage. Awsooooome!

Anonymous said...

I'd never heard about the boppy until your blog. I'd totally get it for someone now. Plus your little guy looks so cute next to it, it's an ad in and of itself.

Erika said...

I am actually surprised that there are still people out there who hadn't heard of a Boppy! Great PSA then Elita!!

Candace April said...

Enjoyed your post!

We got a boppy but I rarely used it. I guess I'm not an accessory kinda gal. I used it a little when my first baby needs some support for seating. My current infant finds it amusing to face-plant, though.

You're probably like my biz partner who is super organized and has everything always has everything in a logical and easy to find place right when she needs it!

She had a c-section and recommends the Cuddoozle...but it is a little pricier.

MaShawn said...

Good post. I totally agree with the Boppy recommendation. It was really useful. I also really liked the My Breast Friend for the extra back support, but it isn't as useful when the baby is bigger/longer.

Anonymous said...

Queen Elita - Not only is this well written but it gives anyone an insight on motherhood as well as the balance needed to still be a wife and woman. Love the SMILES story. I might run out and purchase a boppy.

Anonymous said...

I have purchased the Boppy before as a shower gift and I will not hesitate to buy it again, now that I have read Elita's excellent review. Where are the Boppy folks? They should use Miles and Elita in an ad campaign to promote the many uses of Boppy!

Anonymous said...

Aaww, look at my baby. Great review!

Anonymous said...

I never even thought about using it for a support for my new laptop...thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

Oh how the Boppy uses continue to grow... We use it every day and rarely for the designated purpose now that my lo is 8 months feeding her is super easy with or without it. I have to say that I find it to be one of my biggest recomends along with the bumbo chair and sophie the giraffe. great guest post.

Anonymous said...

Elita, from one MILKY MAMA to another, you are AMAZING!!! Thanks so much!!! Love your BLOG! And, your sweetie is sooo cute! : )))

leahita[at]gmail[dot]com

Anonymous said...

I love that your son is called "S.miles"!

Anonymous said...

LOL, I also found many uses for my nursing pillows! It could be marketed as a laptop lap rest. Great blog lady!

Anonymous said...

I love your son's name S.Miles is too cute!!!!! Thank you for showing me the multiple uses of the boppy. That is something I didn't know about :)

Anonymous said...

My husband loves the boppy as much as I do!

Anonymous said...

A boppy can be so handy - especially in the early days when you're all still figuring out positions. So many moms get tired out just from the long nursing sessions in uncomfortable positions - though I also know a few toddlers who are still Boppy-lovers :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...